Automation Engineer R&D
Damen Naval offers you a career that is challenging, exciting and fun in equal measure. The Naval division of the family-owned Damen Shipyards Group is established in Vlissingen and in Schiedam. It is a company with more than 850 professionals, and a rich tradition of naval shipbuilding, its original roots stem back more than 150 years. For more than 50 years Damen Naval has been the dedicated shipbuilder for the Royal Netherlands Navy. Based on decades of accumulated experience, Damen Naval offers navies worldwide a broad range of defense and security vessels, ranging from 7m to more than 200m in length. Damen Naval is the only supplier of naval vessels in the Netherlands. Damen Naval has delivered more than 420 vessels to satisfied customers all over the world and have has earned a reputation for excellence along the way. While taking pride in heritage, Damen Naval is also looking towards the future. Are you ready for duty?
As Automation Engineer R&D you will research and will be part of technology development projects related to automation, digital twins and system integration of complex control systems and decision support systems. All those activities will be executed in the context of ship design and operation. You will also support proposal projects by understanding and interpreting requirements set by (potential) clients and help designing solutions to satisfy these requirements. As Automation Engineer R&D you will provide expert advice in the field of automation and systems engineering on technical performance of our Smart Ships to relevant departments of Damen Naval.
As Automation Engineer R&D, you will:
- Participate in design and implementation of next generation automation solutions.
- Be actively involved in executing automation research and carrying out research projects individually or in teams.
- Specify, evaluate, develop, and test integrated mission management solutions.
- Integrate existing hard and software products and get incompatible platforms to work together.
- Assist with evaluation of technical performance of new automation technologies during design, engineering, production, and commissioning phase.
- Be a member of and support technical project teams with technical advice with respect to automation solutions.
- Be responsible for completing projects on schedule and within budget.
- Strive to highly standardized and modularized automation solutions, defining off-the-shelf building blocks and enabling easy integration into semi-standard naval vessels.
As Automation Engineer R&D, you will need to have:
- Bachelor or Master degree in a relevant discipline combined with understanding of ship systems automation.
- Experience in graphical user interface design and programming.
- Knowledge of marine systems integration and classification societies and their rules & regulations is a plus.
- Knowledge of development processes such as Scrum and IT architecture solutions onboard vessels, e.g. cloud computing solutions and virtualization.
- Up-to-date knowledge of and staying connected with the latest industrial automation developments such as IOT and tailor these for naval deployment.
- Competencies: excellent communication, investigative and problem-solving ability skills, team player, knowledge sharing, drive to combine theory and practice together, independent, and practical customer-oriented thinker.
- Good command of the English language and command of or willingness to learn Dutch is an asset.
- Excellent antecedents as a pre-employment security screening are a standard part of the recruitment procedure.
- Permanent multiyear EU citizenship combined with permanent EU work visa are all requirements of the recruitment process for viable candidates, given the military nature of clients and projects.
At Damen Naval, we highly value our employees, and we will support your professional and personal development. To that end, we invest in all our employees by offering:
- A technology and innovation focused, dynamic, international work environment.
- A competitive salary package and other benefits.
- Ongoing learning and development opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment.
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Are you interested in the position of Automation Engineer R&D, and do you recognise yourself in the job description? Please respond directly via the Damen Career Portal.
For more information about the vacancy, Damen Naval or the application process, please visit the Damen Naval website, the Damen Career Portal or call the Corporate Recruitment department on +31 (0)118- 485 000.
Please note, that only candidates with a permanent EU citizenship together with a permanent valid EU work visa can be considered as viable candidates. A pre-employment and security screening and investigation form part of the recruitment process. #LI-DNS1
Damen Naval does not approve commercial, contractor and/or agency or other commercial use of this advertisement. Proposing candidates without invitation is not appreciated and will not be considered.