Department Manager Naval & Technology
Damen Naval offers you a career that is challenging, exciting and fun in equal measure. The Naval division of the family-owned Damen Shipyards Group is established in Vlissingen and in Schiedam. It is a company with more than 850 professionals, and a rich tradition of naval shipbuilding, its original roots stem back more than 150 years. For more than 50 years Damen Naval has been the dedicated shipbuilder for the Royal Netherlands Navy. Based on decades of accumulated experience, Damen Naval offers navies worldwide a broad range of defence and security vessels, ranging from 7m to more than 200m in length. Damen Naval is the only supplier of naval vessels in the Netherlands. Damen Naval has delivered more than 420 vessels to satisfied customers all over the world and have has earned a reputation for excellence along the way. While taking pride in heritage, Damen Naval is also looking towards the future. Are you ready for duty?
As Department Manager you are performing the direct line management for the disciplines Naval and Technology (50+ FTE) within Engineering Department (450 FTE). In the Engineering matrix organisation, the department manager is responsible for capacity, competences, processes, and tools, whereas the Project Manager will be responsible for budget, quality, and planning.
The Naval & Technology department consists of specialists for 28 aspects, that actively support the proposal department, the engineering department including production support and test and trials, and the various R&D projects. Aspects include a.o. hydrostatics, hydrodynamics, weight control, welding, composites, materials, signatures, VR, vulnerability, propulsion/electrical simulations, topside design, autonomous operations. You will actively support and manage this specialist’s team priorities, processes, quality, and tools.
As Department Manager Naval & Technology you will:
- As member of the Engineering Management, you are responsible for day-to-day department management and reporting to the General Manager Engineering.
- Lead, inspire and motivate the teams of 50+ engineers, with various levels of technical experience and expertise.
- Manage the department resource planning and assure all project teams can be staffed with the required capabilities. This includes hiring new team members when required.
- Organise temporary engineering capacity if needed.
- Responsible for the processes and (specialists) software tools (including development and validation).
- Drive innovative ideas in processes and methodology and secures this in updated processes and work instructions.
- Ensure disciplined technical proposal review, including the man hour estimation.
- Work closely together with other Engineering disciplines and other departments.
- Support graduates and trainees in the department.
As Department Manager Naval and Technology, you need to have:
- Master (MSc) degree in Naval Architecture or other relevant technical study.
- Experience in design and engineering process and technology of naval ships.
- Experience in working in an engineering environment as department manager.
- Good command of the Dutch and English language both written & verbal.
- Excellent antecedents because a pre-employment security screening is a standard part of the recruitment procedure.
- Permanent multiyear EU citizenship combined with permanent EU work visa are all requirements of the recruitment process for viable candidates, given the military nature of clients and projects.
At Damen Naval, we highly value our employees, and we will support your professional and personal development. To that end, we invest in all our employees by offering:
- A technology and innovation focused, dynamic, international work environment.
- A competitive salary package and other benefits.
- Ongoing learning and development opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment.
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Are you interested in the position of Department Manager Naval and Technology, and do you recognize yourself in the job description? Please respond directly via the Damen Career Portal.
For more information about the vacancy, Damen Naval or the application process, please visit the Damen Naval website, the Damen Career Portal or call the Corporate Recruitment department on +31 (0)118- 485 000.
Please note, that only candidates with a permanent EU citizenship together with a permanent valid EU work visa can be considered as viable candidates. A pre-employment and security screening and investigation form part of the recruitment process. #LI-DNS1
Damen Naval does not approve commercial, contractor and/or agency or other commercial use of this advertisement. Proposing candidates without invitation is not appreciated and will not be considered.