Technical Subcontract Manager Combat Systems
Damen Naval offers you a career that is challenging, exciting and fun in equal measure. You could join our team – over 500 professionals in our locations In Schiedam and Vlissingen. The Naval division of the family-owned Damen Shipyards Group is renowned internationally for its on-time, on budget delivery of high-quality naval vessels, as well as its role of full-service provider, or integrator, throughout the life-cycle of its products. The division has a rich history reaching back over 140 years and is proud of its long tradition of serving the Royal Netherlands Navy (RNLN), the launching customer of eight successive generations of Damen Combatants. Today, Damen Naval operates yards and specialist engineering companies in the Netherlands, Belgium and Romania and additionally constructs vessels at non-Damen locations of clients’ choosing all around the world. Damen Naval is looking towards the future. Together with its partners, the division undertakes in-depth R&D with a view to optimising the efficiency of naval shipbuilding processes for the future. Are you ready for duty?
Are you able to work with and (project) manage international sub-contractors to deliver against the contract, acting as the technical interface between the sub-contractor and the internal project organisation?
Do you enjoy taking part through the entire development process from tendering up to final product acceptance?
As Technical Subcontract Manager Combat Systems you will specify, coordinate and manage the project of all the technical activities for sub-contracted combat systems, covering above water and underwater sensor systems, weapon, command and control, communication, and navigation systems. This includes activities related to the definition, procurement, engineering, interfacing, installation, verification, and acceptance of the relevant combat systems for large design and build projects. This to achieve a successful integration of the various combat systems into an effective naval combat suite for the developed ships and optionally the related land-based facilities that Damen Naval delivers to its customers.
The Combat Systems department has an integral task within Engineering. The department aims to capture the extensive and specialist knowledge of naval sensor, weapon and command systems and manage the subcontracted suppliers of these systems with the ultimate objective of successful development, integration, installation and optimal functioning of these systems on board the vessel. To achieve this goal, the department is involved throughout the entire development process, from tendering through to the final acceptance of the (subcontracted) product. This characterizes the department as being a technical discipline with a commercial mindset and strong technical project and contract management capabilities.
As Technical Subcontract Manager Combat Systems you will:
- Support the combat system engineering group on sustained performance by delivering quality engineering products within budget and on a timely basis.
- Coordinate and facilitate the sub-contractor (supplier) contribution to the project(s) during preparation and execution phases.
- Take ownership of the assigned subcontracts for the project to drive and attain targeted results within the set project constraints for schedule, quality and cost.
- Ensure full compliance with all applicable requirements and specifications, as imposed by Damen Naval and our customer.
- Organise or participate in project reviews.
- Secure planning, execution and synchronisation of project activities related to all deliverables and obligations of the sub-contractor, ensuring the proper integration of the related system.
- Participate during contractual milestones, tests, and trials, such as FAT’s, HAT’s and SAT’s, acting as the accepting party.
- Assist the warranty authority on all warranty queries and issues that have been identified in relation to the sub-contractor.
- Advise the Products & Proposals department on proposals for (new) systems for new opportunities and project proposals.
- Support project and proposal evaluations and subcontract evaluations on all aspects, including cost-benefit analyses.
- Assist the Combat System Integrator by defining, establishing and testing of functional and physical interfaces.
- Ensure all company HSSEQ and departmental IMED policies and procedures are in place, understood, owned, maintained and adhered to.
As Technical Subcontract Manager Combat Systems you need to have:
- Technical University or Higher professional education degree (MSc-level) in a relevant field, preferably in Electrical, Aerospace, Maritime or Systems Engineering.
- Relevant knowledge of naval combat systems is strongly recommended, or at least knowledge and experience with other highly complex technical systems.
- Experience with technical subcontract management with international sub-contractors (suppliers)
- Good contract management skills and affinity with legal language and technical terminology.
- Good project management experience and ideally with project management qualification.
- Knowledge and understanding of technical concepts and common engineering practices, obtained through experience in relevant engineering role(s).
- Ability to oversee the bigger picture, while keeping a sharp eye on the critical details.
- Experience working in (complex) project environments in a matrix organisation.
- Excellent command of the English language, Dutch and/or German language knowledge or willingness to learn.
- Solid communication skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with sub-contractors.
- Competencies: self-starter, works independently and in a team, pro-active, decisive and takes action as required.
- Willingness and flexibility to travel abroad to from time to time, when and as required to support project activities and objectives.
We highly value our employees and will support your professional and personal development. To that end Damen Naval invest in all our employees by offering:
- A technology and innovation focused dynamic international work environment.
- A competitive salary package & other benefits.
- On-going learning and development opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment.
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Are you interested in the position of Technical Subcontract Manager Combat Systems and do you recognise yourself in the job description? Please respond directly via career.damen.com.
For more information about the vacancy, Damen Naval or the application process, please visit career.damen.com or call the Corporate Recruitment department on +31 (0)118- 485 000.
Please note, that only candidates with an EU citizenship or valid EU work visa will be considered as viable candidates. A pre-employment and security screening and investigation form part of the recruitment process.
Damen Naval does not approve of commercial, contractor and/or agency acquisition or commercial use of this advertisement. Proposing candidates without invitation is not appreciated and will not be considered.